I read the book circa 1990. I had no troubles believing it could come true some day. There are a few too many people who believe they have a right to force their religion on you — or a least its principles. If the right social-political conditions appear, they will rise.

And they need only become a significant minority, say maybe 20%, to get their way. If the 20% can scare most of the the other 80% to keep their head down, the 20% can rule the roost. That is the lesson of the rise of Nazism.

The question you academics should be asking is why America has gotten to this position where a Handmaid’s Tale is not too far away. Could it be our system of governance? Should we look at alternatives?

But you guys won’t ask those questions, will you?

Dave Volek is the inventor of “Tiered Democratic Governance”. Let’s get rid of all political parties! Visit http://www.tiereddemocraticgovernance.org/tdg.php

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store